Monday, April 21, 2014

I Found the Gunpowder Story!

Over the years  I have told ...an analogy...an example... when teaching about "truth."  It is the story about the Indians and gunpowder.  I have often wondered where I learned that story.   This morning I found it!  Hooray!!!!

I was reading a talk by N. Eldon Tanner from the April 1978 General Conference.  His talk is "Ye Shall Know the Truth."  In this talk, he said:

"The scriptures give us evidence of the reality and personality of God and his Son, Jesus Christ. In order to believe in God it is necessary for us to understand his nature and attributes. Our faith in him must be based on true principles. Faith will avail us nothing if it is based on a false premise. For example, some of the early American colonists in dealing with the Indians gave them gunpowder to plant with the promise that they could raise a crop of gunpowder. In explicit faith the Indians planted the gunpowder, but of course they harvested nothing from their efforts because their faith was based on falsehood."  

"Ye Shall Know the Truth"

No comments:

Post a Comment